Saturday, February 19, 2011

Peanut Butter Jelly Time!


Due to my hectic schedule during the week, I am not able to blog, but believe me we have definitely been eating!  So there is a backlog of meals for me to post, and this one is quickly going to the top even though I literally just finished eating it - because it was just THAT good!

Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches have been my favorite for as long as I can remember - I don't even know if I could actually function without them.  It killed me when I studied abroad last year and PB&J's were not staples in other countries - even finding peanut butter is a struggle!  Maybe that says something about our obesity epidemic?  Well, this recipe will definitely not aid in increasing the obesity rate of our country, on the contrary this will help you meet your weight goal, or maintain where you are while indulging yourself in the most delicious Peanut Butter and Jelly creation I have had.  Period.



Deconstructed Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich French Toast
makes one HUGE serving
2 healthy life 100% whole wheat english muffins (100 cals/muffin - you can use thomas light as well but Ki and I have been high on fiber lately so we have been finding healthy alternatives with not as much fiber, it's harder than you think haha)
2 T egg beaters
1 oz skim milk
dash vanilla
2 T better'n peanut butter (100 cals/2 T - we used the low sodium version)
2 T smucker's sugar free concord grape jam (or any sugar free flavor of your choosing)
Optional topping: sugar free syrup

Mix together egg beaters, skim milk, and vanilla.  Split the english muffins in half and dip each half in the egg mixture.  Put on a sprayed preheated skillet and cook until each side is golden brown.

Place the four english muffin halves on a plate.  In small bowls, heat up the better'n peanut butter and the jelly.  Keep an eye on these because they only take a few seconds to heat up (put it in for 30 and you should be able to somewhat eye when it's melted.  Pour the melted peanut butter and the jelly onto the tops of your cooked english muffin french toast.  If you want to go even crazier - top with even more sugar free syrup (do it ;) ).

The best part of this recipe?!  ONLY 345 CALORIES PER SERVING!  Four english muffin halves, loaded with wonderful peanut butter and jelly flavor!  Have these for breakfast or brunch today - or make them for your family or friends tomorrow, or just make them every day.

Does this serving look TOO big?!  Well, not for Ki or myself since we are very hungry individuals (and both ran 6 miles this morning), but you can easily cut the recipe in half to both indulge but not stuff yourself if you typically don't eat that much for breakfast haha.  I'll leave it up to you to divide the nutrition.

No comments:

Post a Comment