Sunday, February 6, 2011

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Applesauce Cookies

Jeesh, what a mouthful!  Haha, I (Ke) looove baking cookies.  I literally began baking because of my love of the Martha Cookies cookbook I got as a present a few years back for a birthday.  I cannot even count how many recipes of hers I have made, but unfortunately the amount of butter alone in these babies have made me stop baking from her book as much and made me turn to other options... such as other bloggers.

I found a recipe on a fellow blogger's page, and edited it slightly to make it even healthier ;).  I will include the original ingredients next to the modified ones if you do not want to use the peanut butter modification (but really, who wouldn't want to have peanut butter?!).




Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Applesauce Cookies
1 1/3 cup flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
3/4 t salt
1 cup brown sugar (not packed)
1/4 cup better'n peanut butter (the original recipe called for 1/4 cup unsalted butter)
1/2 cup no sugar added applesauce
1/4 cup egg beaters (or one egg can be substituted)
1 T vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Drain applesauce using a fine strainer over a bowl to get rid of excess liquid.

In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.  In a larger bowl, combine peanut butter, sugar, applesauce, egg beaters, and vanilla.  Gradually mix in the dry ingredients to the wet.

On a covered cookie sheet (sil-pat or parchment paper), spoon the dough into tablespoon sized drops.  I like to use a small scoop to make sure all ingredients are uniform - and it also makes the process more efficient so the cookies are done quicker!  Bake for 10-15 minutes, it all depends on your oven and how big your cookies are.  Just make sure they look baked all the way through.  Even if you have to "test" one to make sure they're not still doughy, no one will notice ;).

These are awesome paired with a mug o' hot chocolate (Nestle fat-free is our preferred version, clocking in at only 20 calories a serving).  The applesauce definitely makes these a healthier alternative to regular peanut butter chocolate chip cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment